Internet safety. Just to think about a decade ago this wasn't a problem at all. Now almost every single news broadcast uses this phrase in some manner. Everyone should be concerned about internet safety, but children should especially be forewarned. Children can be more vulnerable due to their innocent nature and lack of experience with the world. I am listing two important cites that can aide students and their family/teacher/friends. Also, check with the schools where your student attends because schools often make up websites about how to be safe on the internet.
NetSmartz: I babysit a lot and when parents ask me about what they think they should teach their children about the internet, I refer them to this cite. I LOVE it! It gives information that the children should know based on what age/grade they are in. It explains basic safety rules, such as to tell an adult if you come across something that makes you uncomfortable, and more advanced rules, such as taking someone with you wherever you go. This cite shows what pledges a student should make and it explains why these decisions are good ones. Too often we assume that children are incapable of understanding the method behind the madness of parenting, but the students should know the reasons why these rules are important.
Disney: Disney, being the child friendly organization that it is, also chose to help explain how to do "safe surfing." This is an interactive website that has some really fun, and educational, games for children and good informative facts for parents. This website also sorts by ages, under or over 10, so that the information can be tailored based off what they student will use the internet for. It also shows classic Disney characters who help explain how to keep safe on the internet.
If anyone has any further cites that demonstrate a skill at keeping children safe on the internet, I would love to see what they are.
No comments:
Post a Comment