The YouTube Video, "A Vision of Students Today," is extremely thought provoking. If you have the time to watch it, you will see that many students buy expensive textbooks that are never used, are often jam packed into classes with numbers dwelling well into the hundreds, and feel that college does not prepare them for the real world. I often agree with these statements. I used to attend UCDavis, a college in California known for their agricultural science department. I was miserable there. Many of my classes had 300 students in them. Most of my professors couldn't have picked me up from a lineup. The entire environment was impersonal. Furthermore, I was attending the college for avian sciences. Though I worked on a poultry farm, much of the material I learned about had little to nothing to do with real world complications. I found the entire process extremely frustrating. Yet, college is deemed necessary.
The author of this video, Michael Wesch, wrote a response to the video seen above. He cites his frustration as a teacher to do what he believes is required. The entire article is a good read, but the most important part is at the end where he says that he believes that the system can be fixed by encouraging digital information and college to progress together. By engaging students in projects that have real world applications, the system of education may be saved. I would love to see more ideas of how to fix the problem with the educational system as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment